Meet Dr. Angela Bohnen
Dr. Bohnen specializes in treating primary brain tumors such as gliomas, meningiomas, and pituitary tumors, as well as skull base and metastatic brain tumors. Her clinical expertise is in awake craniotomies and brain mapping for eloquent tumors. She also performs spine surgery as well, having participated in an enfolded complex spine and deformity fellowship during residency.
Dr. Bohnen completed her neurosurgical residency at Northwestern University, where she helped pioneer an abroad rotation in Rome, Italy, facilitating further comprehension of international health care and developing collaborative relationships with international colleagues. Dr. Bohnen then completed a neuro-oncology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic where she studied under internationally renowned mentor Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa.
Dr. Bohnen utilizes a personalized approach combined with a multidisciplinary approach – working with multiple specialty physicians – to provide the most comprehensive treatment for her patients. Additionally, Dr. Bohnen has a passion for local and international charities and believes in providing medical education to underserved areas in order to provide sustainable, local patient care. She has participated in multiple education-based medical mission trips.
- Bachelor of Science – Centre College
- Doctor of Medicine – University of Louisville School of Medicine
- Residency – Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Fellowship – Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida
- Associate Surgeon, Mayo Clinic
- Resident Member of the Neurosurgical Department Education Committee
- Neurosurgical Representative for Hospital Quality Improvement Project Relating to Patient Falls
- Coordinator of Neurosurgical Quality Improvement Project for Safer Bedside Procedures
- Resident Member of the Neurosurgical DVT Prevention Task Force
- Development and Implementation of an International Neurosurgery Rotation at Policlinico Universitario Agostino Gemelli in Rome, Italy
- SCAC Student – Athlete Academic Honor Roll, Softball
- Kentucky Academy of Science 3rd place research presentation in Cell and Molecular Biology
- Alpha Omega Alpha inductee
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
- AMWA Glasgow-Rubin Certificate of Commendation for Academic Achievement
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Medical School Graduate – Cum Laude
- Best Consulting Resident 2013
- Asmus, S; Anderson, E; Ball, M; Barnes, B; Bohnen, A; Brown, A; Hartley, L; Lally, M; Lundbland, T; Martin, J; Moss, B; Phelps, K; Quiligan, C; Steed, R; Terrell, S; Warner, A. Neurochemical Characterization of Tyrosine Hydroxylase Immunoreactive Interneurons in the Developing Rat Cerebral Cortex. Brain Research. Volume 1222, 30 July 2008. Pages 95-105
- Smith TR, Mithal DS, Park A, Bohnen A, Adel J, Rosenow JM. Emergent Intrathecal Baclofen Withdrawal After Pseuomeningocele Aspiration. Pain Physician 16(2): E113-8, 2013. [PMID:23511686]
- Clooney M, Goergen J, Bohnen AM, Smith ZA, Koski T, Dahdaleh N. The Role of Minimally Invasive Techniques in Scoliosis Correction Surgery. Minimally Invasive Surgery 2018, Article ID 4185840, 6 pages, 2018. doi:10.1155/2018/4185840
- Bohnen AM, Rosenow JM. Electosurgery of the 21st Century: The Role of PEAK PlasmaBlade in Neurostimulation. Operative Neurosurgery. Submitted, pending acceptance.
- LaRocca G, Bohnen AM, Albanese A, Auricchio AM, Marchese E, Olivi A, Puca A, Sabatino G, Sturiale C. Della Pepa GM. Lateral Supraorbital Approach: Assessment of Technique and Outcomes for the Treatment of Unruptured Anterior Communicating and A1/A2 anuerysms. Acta Neurochir. Submitted, pending accepted
- Bohnen AM, Olivi A. Neurosurgical Residency in Italy: An American Trainee’s Experience. JNS. Submitted, pending acceptance
- Choy W, Bohnen AM, Pelargos P, Lam S, Yang I, Smith ZA. Neurosurgery concepts: Key perspectives on deferoxamine and chronic hydrocephalus from intraventricular hemorrhage, laboratory dissection training in neurosurgical residency, tetanus toxoid and dendritic cell vaccines for glioblastoma, and intracranial hypertension after surgery for craniosynostosis. Surg Neurol Int. 2015 Aug 19;6:139. doi: 10.4103/2152-7806.163179. eCollection 2015. PMID: 26392916
- Srinivasan VM, Kan P, Germanwala AV, Pelargos P, Bohnen AM, Choy W, Yan I, Smith ZA. Key perspectives on Woven EndoBridge device for wide-necked bifurcation aneurysms, endoscopic endonasal clipping of intracranial aneurysms, retrosigmoid versus translabyrinthine approaches for acoustic neuromas, and impact of local intraoperative steroid administration on postoperative dysphagia following anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Surg Neurol Int. 2016 Mar 14;2:
- Bohnen AM, Sherman J, Pelargos PE, Yang I, Srinivasan VM, Duckworth EAM, Choy W, Smith ZA. Key Perspectives The learning curve of pedicle screw placement, stereotactic radiosurgery for brain metastases, growth of incidentally found meningiomas, and the Barrow Ruptured Anuerysm Trial. Surg Neurol Int. 2016 Jan. 7(28):729
- Kan, P, Bohnen AM, Germanwala AV, Pelargos PE, Choy W, Yang I, Smith ZA. Key perspectives on stenting of symptomatic vertebral artery stenosis, resident involvement in neurosurgery, antithrombotic therapy following sellar and parasellar tumor resection and radiosurgery for vestibular schwannomas. Surg Neurol Int. 2016 Apr. 7(28): 733
- Lagman C, Chung LK, Macysszyn L, Choy W, Smith ZA, Dahdaleh NS, Bohnen AM, Cho JM, Colen CB, Duckworth E, Germanwala AV, Kan P, Khalessi AA, Kim CY, Lam S, Li G, Lim M, Sherman JK, Wang VY, Zada G, Yang I. Key perspectives on imaging characteristics of spinal metastases, surgery for low back pain, anesthesia for disc surgery, and laminectomy versus laminectomy and fusion for lumbar spondylolisthesis. Surg Neurol Int. Online publication date 2017 Jan 19. 8(9) PMCID: PMC5288991
- Germanwala AV, Hofler R, Lagman C, Chung LK, Khalessi AA, Zada G, Smith ZA, Dahdaleh NS, Bohnen AM, Cho JM, Colen CB, Duckworth E, Kan P, Lam S, Kim CY, Li G, Lim M, Sherman JH, Want VY, Yang I. Key perspectives on endoscopic versus microscopic resection of pituitary adenomas, surgical decision-making in tuberculum sellae meningiomas, optic nerve mobilization during resection of craniopharyngiomas, and evaluation of headache and quality of life after endoscopic transphenoidal surgery for pituitary adenomas. Surg Neurol Int. Online publication date 2017 Apr 5. 8(52) PMCID: PMC5402327
- Fessler RG, Sehkar LN. “Surgical Treatment of Ilioinguinal neuralgia .“ Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques: Spine and Peripheral Nerve, 2nd New York: Thieme. 2016. 917-921. Print.
- Fessler RG, Sehkar LN. “Surgical Treatment of the Musculocutaneous Nerve.” Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques: Spine and Peripheral Nerves, 2nd ed New York: Thieme. 2016. 849-853. Print.
Editorials and Letters to the Editor
- Daou MR, El Ahmadieh TY, El Tecle NE, Bohnen AM, Bendok BR. Unruptured Intracranial Anuerysms: Risk Factors and their Interaction. Neurosurgery (In Press)
- Bendok BR, El Tecle NE, El Ahmadieh TY, Bohnen AM. Reopening Closed Highways for Stroke Prevention. Perspectives. World Neurosurgery. 2013 Mar 26 [PMID: 23541747] [Epub ahead of print]
- El Tecle NE, El Ahmadiea TY, Bohnen AM, Nanney AD 3rd, Bendok BR. Are Hyperlipidemia and Autoimmune Diseases Synergistic In Moyamoy a Disease Pathophysiology: Insight From The Midwest. World Neurosurgery (2013), doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2013.08.056 [PMID: 24017955] [Epub ahead of print]
- Asmus S, Ball M, Bohnen A, Phelps K, Hartley C, Steed S. Characterization of Cortical Neurons that Transiently Express TH During Rat Brain Development. Developmental Biology 295(1): 405
- Bohnen AM, Adel JG, Chandler JP. Retrospective Review of Thromboembolic Phenomena Following Craniotomy for Brain Tumor. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 215(3): S65
- Bohnen AM, Asmus S. Neurochemical Characterization of Tyrosine Hydroxylase Immunoreactive Interneurons in the Developing Rat Cerebral Cortex. Kentucky Academy of Science. Eastern Kentucky University. Cell & Molecular Biology Division – 3rd 2005
- Bohnen AM, Adel JG, Chandler JP, Hobbs J, Johnson T. Retrospective Review of Thromboembolic Phenomena following Craniotomy for Brain Tumor. American College of Surgeons. Chicago, IL. 2013
Taryn, MS, PA-C, assists Dr. Bohnen in clinic and surgery for brain tumor and spine patients.
Jamie, MSN, APN, FNP-C, HNB-BC, CNRN, provides care in our Littleton and Lone Tree clinics.
Kelly, MS, APN, ANP-C, specializes in inpatient and postop management of neurocritically ill.