11750 W. 2nd Place
Lakewood, CO 80228
Lakewood Neurosurgeons Provide Expert Brain and Spine Care
When researching Lakewood neurosurgeons, experience matters. The physicians at Neurosurgery One Lakewood offer deep experience as well as stellar patient care. Our office is in the medical building that adjoins St. Anthony Hospital, a Level I Trauma Center. Our Lakewood neurosurgeons are who they call in to treat neurotrauma cases, such as severe head and spinal injuries, and Dr. John Hudson with Neurosurgery One is the Medical Director of Neurosurgery Intensive Care at St. Anthony Hospital.
Our Lakewood neurosurgeons and Lakewood spine surgeons also have extensive expertise caring for patients with non-emergency back and neck pain, complex neurological conditions, brain and spine tumors, and more. This means you don’t have to look far for top-notch spine and brain care in the west Denver area.
Our Lakewood neurosurgeons have special training and expertise treating the following conditions:
- Cerebrovascular conditions. The Lakewood neurosurgeons at Neurosurgery One Lakewood are highly skilled in the treatment of stroke, aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations, and other cerebrovascular conditions. They serve on the St. Anthony Hospital Stroke Team.
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus. With this condition, abnormal amounts of cerebrospinal fluid accumulate on the brain, which can lead to hemorrhage, trauma, infection, and more. Our Lakewood neurosurgeons are well-versed in normal pressure hydrocephalus treatment, which often requires brain surgery to place a shunt that allows excess fluid to drain from the brain.
- Spinal deformities. Scoliosis and other spinal deformities can be congenital (present at birth) or develop later in life. These conditions often cause pain and balance issues and lead to restricted activity and a lower quality of life. Our Lakewood spine surgeons, including Jason McGowan, MD, have the in-depth knowledge and skills necessary to treat spinal deformities. In fact, Dr. McGowan completed the prestigious University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Complex Spinal Deformity Fellowship with a concentration in scoliosis and spinal reconstructive surgery. He performs minimally invasive spine surgery and complex spinal reconstruction.
- Spine fractures. Osteoporosis causes nearly 700,000 spine fractures per year, which often occur without any impact or activity. That’s why our Lakewood spine surgeons developed the Spine Fracture & Bone Health Clinic. The clinic helps patients strengthen their bones to prevent spine fractures and prepare for spine surgery through a combination of medication, exercise, and lifestyle modification.
Services Provided by Our Lakewood Neurosurgeons
Neurosurgery One’s Lakewood neurosurgeons have the skills and experience necessary to treat all kinds of brain and spine conditions. That means you don’t have to go far for expert care. We are one of the few centers whose Lakewood spine surgeons offer a complete range of treatment options for back pain, which allows us to recommend a therapy that’s ideally suited to you, your condition, and your lifestyle. If you need spine surgery, our neurosurgeons are experts at minimally invasive techniques that can reduce your pain and recovery time. For patients undergoing surgery of any kind, we adhere to Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) guidelines, an evidence-based recovery program, to get you back to your life quicker.
We offer the following specialty services:
- Brain tumor mapping. Also called brain GPS, this technique used by Lakewood neurosurgeon John Hudson, MD, involves using MRI to create detailed images of the brain, allowing for the removal of deep-seated tumors that were once deemed inoperable.
- Minimally invasive brain surgery. Dr. Hudson, Medical Director of the Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit at St. Anthony Hospital, also specializes in endoscopic brain surgery for the treatment of skull base and pituitary tumors, along with keyhole craniotomy, for the treatment of skull base tumors, meningiomas, acoustic neuromas, and some metastatic brain tumors. Dr. Zain Allison is the newest Lakewood neurosurgeon to join Neurosurgery One. As a teenager, Dr. Allison had a tumor in his skull, which not only led to him becoming an expert cranial and spine neurosurgeon with special interest in tumors but also gave him first-hand experience as a patient. This perspective makes him a more relatable, compassionate spine and brain surgeon.
- Minimally invasive spine surgery. Rather than cutting through muscle to access the spine, as is the case in traditional, open spine surgery, our Lakewood spine surgeons can often use a minimally invasive approach in which we make a small incision and separate muscle fibers in order to access the spine. This approach reduces damage to surrounding soft tissue, resulting in less pain and shorter recovery times.
- Complex brain and spine surgery. Our Lakewood neurosurgeons, all of whom serve as on-call neurotrauma surgeons for St. Anthony Hospital and its Level I Trauma Center, are experienced in treating the most complex brain and spine injuries caused by traumatic accidents, including car accidents, snow mobile and skiing accidents, falls, lightning strikes, and all types of trauma. Lakewood neurosurgeon Joshua Beckman, MD, developed special expertise as a spine surgeon in the U.S. Air Force, treating spinal injuries and conditions in military personnel who had some of the most physically demanding jobs in the military including infantry, rescue, and special operations forces.
Visit our Treatments We Offer page for a comprehensive list of services provided by our Lakewood neurosurgeons and our network of Neurosurgery One clinics.
Meet Our Lakewood Neurosurgeons
Neurosurgery One’s Lakewood neurosurgeons are available to treat your brain and spine conditions. We also have a skilled team of advance practice providers—physician assistants and nurse practitioners—to help you get the care you need as quickly as possible.
To expedite your care, if you have a non-life-threatening condition, including many forms of back or neck pain, we’ll schedule you as soon as possible with one of our advanced practice providers. This provider will conduct your exam, listen to your concerns, and order any relevant lab tests and diagnostic imaging studies. They may also refer you for physical therapy or pain management, if appropriate. This means you will get the care you need sooner, without having to wait to see a neurosurgeon. It is also required by some insurance plans.
Patients with potentially life-limiting or disabling conditions, such as a suspected brain or spine tumor, and those with more complex neurological disorders will be scheduled with one of our Lakewood neurosurgeons, often the same day.
Lakewood Neurosurgeons Near You
Neurosurgery One Lakewood is in the medical building that adjoins St. Anthony Hospital, which is right next to the Denver Federal Center.
11750 W. 2nd Place
Lakewood, CO 80228
Neurosurgery One Lakewood neurosurgeons perform brain and spine procedures at St. Anthony Hospital (11600 W. 2nd Place, Lakewood, CO 80228) and St. Anthony North Hospital (14300 Orchard Parkway, Westminster, CO, 80023).
What to Expect From Our Lakewood Neurosurgeons
There’s no need to travel for expert neurosurgical care. Our Lakewood neurosurgeons are highly skilled, experienced, and compassionate. They will take the time to ensure you understand your diagnosis and answer any questions you may have. They will also explain all of your treatment options and consider your preferences and quality of life when helping you decide which treatment is best.
Patients describe their experience with our practice of Lakewood neurosurgeons as “impressive” and “outstanding.” They also say they found their providers to be “caring” and “committed.” We’re confident you will feel the same way.
Our Lakewood neurosurgeons are now accepting patients. Schedule an appointment today to get the treatment you deserve. To get the most out of your first visit, please review the following links and complete the required paperwork prior to your appointment.
Neurosurgery One Lakewood is a member of Centura Health Physician Group. If you are already a Centura patient, please log in to your MyCenturaHealth patient portal to access your medical records, view test results, and message your Lakewood neurosurgeons. If you do not already have a MyCenturaHealth account, you will receive an activation code after your first appointment with us.