Meet Dr. Wissam Asfahani
Dr. Wissam Asfahani, a spine surgeon and neurosurgeon in Parker, Colorado, is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery. He specializes in treating all facets of neurosurgery including, but not limited to, degenerative and traumatic disorders of the spine and brain, as well as brain and spinal cord tumors, and traumatic brain injuries. Dr. Asfahani also performs Deep Brain Stimulation surgery (DBS) for movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease, and performs stereotactic radiosurgery for brain metastases.
Dr. Asfahani completed his neurosurgical residency at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Prior to joining Neurosurgery One, he practiced in South Dakota where he was Chairman of the Neuroscience Section and co-chair of the Gamma Knife Radiosurgery Program at Avera-Mckennan Hospital. He served as Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of South Dakota. Dr. Asfahani is an instructor of the Goodman Oral Board Review Course.
Dr. Asfahani aspires to create a comfortable and cooperative environment where patients and their families can feel heard, appreciated, and well cared for. He recommends the latest evidence-based treatments and uses the newest technologies and best surgical techniques with the goal of providing his patients with the most optimal outcomes.
- Bachelor of Science: American University of Beirut
- Doctor of Medicine: American University of Beirut
- Neurosurgical Residency: University of Kentucky
- Neurosurgeon at Avera McKennan Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of South Dakota
- Instructor at the AANS Goodman Oral Board Review Course
- Chairman of the Neuroscience Section at Avera Mckennan Hospital
- Co-Chairman of the Gamma Knife Radiosurgery Program at Avera Mckennan Hospital
- American Board of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Guardian Angel Award in recognition of professional service and enhancement of high quality patient care at Avera McKennan hospital (2015).
- Zalloua PA, Aoun E, Koussa S, Asfahani WS and Taher A. The codons 8/9 (+G) mutation found for the first time in the Lebanese population. Hemoglobin. 2003 Feb; 27(1):1-5.
- Ismail K., Aoun E., Sleiman Zade Asfahani W., Taher A. Nine years’ experience at the AUB-MC vascular lab. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2003; 1 Supplement 1 July: abstract number P1379.
- Sleiman Zade Asfahani W, Taher A, Al Rahawi D, Khalil I. Venous thromboembolism in cancer patients referred to the American University of Beirut – Medical Center, secondary to deep vein thrombosis; Occurrence and risk factors. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2005 Dec; 20(3):179-182.
- Loebe M, Zade Asfahani WH, Petrov GP, Kleiman NS, Torre-Amione G. Surgical consideration on the use of the percutaneous ventricular assist device TandemHeart in critical aortic valve stenosis. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Feb;57(1):50-2
- Van Horne CG, Vaughan SW, Massari C, Bennett M, Asfahani WS, Quintero JE, Gerhardt GA. Streamlining deep brain stimulation surgery by reversing the staging order. J Neurosurg. 2015 May;122(5):1042-7.
- Asfahani W, Ramsey C. “Subarachnoid Hemorrhage”, Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2011, M Dobbs and F Ferri ed, Mosby/Elsevier 2010
- Asfahani W, Ramsey C. “Subarachnoid Hemorrhage”, Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2012, M Dobbs and F Ferri ed, Mosby/Elsevier 2013
- Asfahani W, Ramsey C. “Subarachnoid Hemorrhage”, Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2013, S Kedar and F Ferri ed, Mosby/Elsevier 2014
- Asfahani W, Ramsey C. “Subdural Hematoma”, Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2013, S Kedar and F Ferri ed, Mosby/Elsevier 2014
- Asfahani W, Fraser J. “Subarachnoid Hemorrhage”, Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2014, S Kedar and F Ferri ed, Mosby/Elsevier 2015
- Asfahani W, Ramsey C. “Subdural Hematoma”, Ferri’s Clinical Advisor 2014, S Kedar and F Ferri ed, Mosby/Elsevier 2015
- Asfahani W, Quintero J, Vanhorne C. Streamlining DBS therapy. 2013 CCTS spring conference.
- Malignant Gliomas – Clinical presentations and surgical management. (Avera Brain and Spine Spring Conference – March 2014).
- Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery- Surgical techniques (October 2014).
- Chiari Malformation – Clinical presentation and management (December 2015).
- Complex Spine Surgery (Avera Brain and Spine Spring Conference-March 2015).
- Gamma Knife Radio Surgery (Avera Brain and Spine Spring Conference- March 2016).
- Pituitary tumors and their management (Avera Brain and Spine Spring Conference- March 2016).
Katie is providing pre- and post-operative care for patients with brain and spine conditions.
Elizabeth is providing care to spine and neurosurgery patients in our Parker clinic.