Meet Dr. Jason McGowan
Dr. McGowan is a board-eligible neurosurgeon with advanced fellowship training in the treatment of degenerative spinal conditions, including scoliosis, complex spinal deformity, and spinal reconstruction. A graduate of Morehouse College in Atlanta, Dr. McGowan obtained his medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C. where he also completed his neurosurgery residency. While there, Dr. McGowan received the String of Pearls award for exemplifying humanism in patient care and demonstrating an exceptional commitment to the field of neurosurgery. Following residency, Dr. McGowan was awarded the prestigious University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Complex Spinal Deformity Fellowship with a concentration on scoliosis/spinal deformity and spinal reconstructive surgery.
Dr. McGowan believes firmly in allowing patients to make informed decisions regarding their personal health journey. He enjoys the time he spends with his patients educating them and their families regarding the specifics of their disease. Dr. McGowan conducts a comprehensive work-up to establish the appropriate diagnosis and discusses both surgical and non-surgical treatment pathways.
Dr. McGowan lives in Denver and enjoys exploring all of the outdoor offerings Colorado has to offer. Dr. McGowan currently has same-day availability for urgent matters relating to conditions affecting the brain and spine, and he can see most new patients within 72 hours.
- Bachelor of Science – Morehouse College
- Doctor of Medicine – Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Internship – Georgetown University Hospital
- Residency – Georgetown University Hospital
- Fellowship – University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Spine ePoster Award (2nd Place)
- String of Pearls Resident Teaching Award
- Evaluation of Retraction Time as a Predictor of Postoperative Motor Dysfunction After Minimally Invasive Transpsoas Interbody Fusion at L4-L5. Jason E. McGowan, Kyle B. Mueller, Jean-Marc Voyadzis; (Submitted)
- S2-AI Screw Placement with the Aide of Electronic Conductance Device Monitoring: A Retrospective Analysis. McGowan J, Felbaum D, Mueller K, Sandhu F, European Spine Journal November 2017, Volume 26, Issue 11, pp 2941–2950
- Wartime Penetrating Injuries. Mueller K, Felbaum DR, McGowan JE, Bell RS, Armonda RA. Neurotrauma Critical Care: Brain, 2nd Edition 2017 Thieme In press
- Minimally Invasive Treatment of Spine Trauma. Jason E. McGowan, Christian B. Ricks, Adam S. Kanter; Neurosurgery Clinics of North America; Adult and Pediatric Spine Trauma; (January 2017)
- Surgical Adhesive Drape (IO-ban) as Postoperative Surgical Site Dressing. McGowan, J, Felbaum D, Syed H R, et al. Cureus 7(12): e394. doi:10.7759/cureus.394
- Treating Cervical Radiculopathy for a One-Level Disc Herniation Using a Posterior Foraminotomy, Jason E. McGowan, Joshua E. Ryan, Jean-Marc Voyadzis Seminars in Spine Surgery, Volume 26, Issue 3, Pages 148-153 (September 2014)
Tess, MPAS, PA-C, supports Dr. McGowan caring for spine patients in Lakewood and Arvada.
Anna, MPAS, PA-C, provides pre- and postoperative care in our Lakewood and Arvada clinics.
Sara, MPAS, PA-C, provides care for neurosurgery and spine inpatients at St. Anthony Hospital.
Nermin, PA-C, provides care for our surgical and trauma patients at St. Anthony Hospital.